Administrative; full-time (39 working hours per week)
The Admission Officer at the Barenboim-Said Akademie is responsible for the recruitment of qualified students, overseeing administrative, regulatory, and logistical aspects of the admissions process, and serving as a representative of the Barenboim-Said Akademie for prospective students of its Bachelor of Music degree, Artist Diploma, and Preparatory Program.
The primary duty of the Admission Officer at the Akademie is to comprehensively apply fair admission standards and policies that are in line with German regulations to the materials and credentials of applicants, to determine their admissibility.
We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, culturally sensitive, and possessing excellent communication and organizational skills. The Barenboim-Said Akademie’s main language is English.
- Oversee administrative, regulatory, and logistical aspects of the admissions process
- Create informative, accessible, and sensitive recruitment materials; assist in the planning and content of social media campaigns, admissions-specific newsletters, and other recruitment materials;
- Lead regularly-scheduled, on-campus Information Sessions for prospective students and their families; plan and execute additional special recruitment activities (e.g. online Information Sessions and Open Days);
- Administer and maintain the Akademie’s application portal and admissions data, logistically managing and facilitating the Admission Committee’s review process for several hundred applications;
- Organize and manage the audition process for applicants, faculty, and staff; including: inviting applicants to audition; creating detailed schedules for applicants, staff, and faculty; collating repertoire lists and faculty feedback; recording of auditions; managing additional audition-day aspects (interviews, music theory exams, and English tests);
- Thoroughly prepare materials for review and selection by the Admissions Committee and preserve an overview of the applicant pool; ensuring that all legal requirements and the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s admission regulations are upheld;
- Provide assistance, as needed, with the Barenboim-Said Akademie’s New Student Orientation period.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- University undergraduate degree required; graduate degree desired;
- Excellent knowledge of the German higher education system as well as familiarity with Musikhochschulen is essential;
- Conversant and knowledgeable about music as an academic- and performance- related higher education field;
- Comprehensive knowledge of German higher education admission regulations, specifically for international applicants; experience working with the anabin database;
- Fluent German is required, with excellent knowledge of oral and written English; additional languages desired;
- Highly organized, with an outstanding ability to manage concurrent tasks and complex scheduling requirements;
- An ability to problem solve and work well under pressure, with an attention and sensitivity to detail in communications of all kinds;
- Effective, informative, and accessible public speaking and written communication skills;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, as well as familiarity with campus management and room booking software; CMS, social media, and web experience a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a semi-autonomous work environment with minimal supervision, to work well with a wide range of constituencies, and to build and maintain highly functional working relationships with a faculty community;
- Discretion and sensitivity in working with highly confidential data, documents, and student cases;
- Ability to handle a demanding work schedule, especially during the peaks of the admissions cycle, and have a demonstrated ability to work in an environment that celebrates cultural and ethnic diversity.
Compensation is in line with the federal pay scale for similar positions at German public universities.
This position is to begin as soon as possible. Please send a complete application, including a resume and cover letter and your preferred start date, to firstname.lastname@example.org.