Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Laboratory of Medical Microbiology (LMM) within the Vaccine- and Infectious Disease Institute (VAXINFECTIO) of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of the University of Antwerp is world top in the study of antimicrobial use, resistance development, and diagnostics for infectious diseases. The laboratory is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) researcher/postdoctoral researcher in bioinformatics.
- You provide support in Next Generation Sequencing projects (metagenomics and bacterial whole genome sequencing);
- You oversee and troubleshoot nucleic acid isolation and sequencing runs on different sequencing platforms (Illumina, Pacbio, Nanopore);
- You are involved in optimization and testing of new NGS protocols, and in downstream sequencing data analysis;
- You interact with technicians, PhD students and senior researchers.
- You hold a Master’s or Doctoral degree (PhD) in bioinformatics or related specialties; preferentially with a background in (micro)biology;
- You have prior experience with hands-on wet lab work on NGS platforms
- You have experience in handling Next Generation Sequencing data
- You have basic knowledge in microbiology
- You have good knowledge in assembly tools (Velvet, SPAdes, and HGAP);
- You have knowledge in the LINUX and UNIX environment;
- You have basic scripting knowledge in PERL and R;
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies
- You have excellent knowledge of English;
- You are used to working in a multi-disciplinary context;
- You can work independently and take up responsibility;
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a researcher/postdoc researcher for an initial period of 1 year with the possibility of extension after positive evaluation.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the contract research staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- The date of appointment will be as soon as possible
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 15 May 2021. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Surbhi Malhotra-Kumar, email@example.com
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.