The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of research and teaching, is relevant to its country, is known worldwide for its research and teaching in targeted areas, and is establishing itself as an innovative model for contemporary European Higher Education. It`s core asset is its well-connected world-class academic staff which will attract the most motivated, talented and creative students and young researchers who will learn to enjoy taking up challenges and develop into visionary thinkers able to shape society.
Within the University, the Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB) is a highly interdisciplinary research centre (IC), integrating experimental biology and computational biology approaches in order to develop the foundation of a future predictive, preventive and personalized medicine.
The Environmental Cheminformatics Group at the LCSB is looking to hire an Analytical Environmental Postdoctoral Scientist as an integral part of a recent ATTRACT Fellowship Research Project granted to the Environmental Cheminformatics group by the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR).
Within the project, the Postdoctoral Researcher will establish, develop and maintain analytical and computational mass spectrometry and cheminformatics methods and workflows, primarily for target and non-target environmental, metabolomics and exposomics analysis. The developed methods will be an integral part of tackling the many open research questions within the Environmental Cheminformatics Group (led by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emma Schymanski) in conjunction with many active and potential collaborators.
- PhD degree (or equivalent) in analytical chemistry, environmental sciences or related fields
- Extensive analytical experience in target and non-target high resolution mass spectrometry (HR-MS/MS), preferably in an environmental setting. Experience with Orbitrap instruments will be advantageous
- Experience in designing and implementing experiments to answer environmental/exposomics questions.
- Experience in and willingness to supervise PhD candidates, master’s students and interns
- Experience in or willingness to learn non-target workflows for mass spectrometry data (metabolomics, environmental), R or other scripting languages, git-based subversion control (GitHub, GitLab) and to perform computational analysis of complex datasets to address various questions
- Strongly supportive of Open Science initiatives and willing to become an active member in international environmental, mass spectrometry and cheminformatics communities supporting researchers
- Eagerness to contribute to the deliverables and goals of the project and group, with project members and collaborators, including implementing robust methods, community initiatives and writing publications
- Experience in and eagerness to contribute to teaching and research activities in various forms
- Willingness to write proposals to acquire third-party funding to ensure continuation of group activities
- Willingness to work in a team, with project members and other LCSB colleagues
- Fluent in English, additional skills in German and/or French will be advantageous
- A dynamic, exciting and equal opportunity international research environment
- A dedicated multidisciplinary team of highly motivated researchers, well connected internationally
- Opportunities to be active in many community initiatives such as NORMAN, MassBank, MetFrag and more
- The University of Luxembourg offers competitive remuneration and is an equal opportunity employer; our contracts are subject to public national security system benefits (including public health care scheme)
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Foreseen starting date: asap
- Job Reference: UOL03667
Applications should include:
- a full curriculum vitae, including any publications
- the contact details of three referees
- a copy of the relevant diplomas
- a cover letter indicating your motivation for this project, your match to the job requirements and a succinct description of your relevant experience and future interests
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
Here’s what awaits you at the University
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. WiFi on campus. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
For further information, please see the group website or contact email@example.com