The University of Vienna (15 faculties, 4 centres, about 174 fields of study, approx. 9.500 members of staff, more than 94.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
Reference number: 8538
We are searching for support in social science research research and teaching on contemporary Japan. Our highly engaged team provides a cooperative and harmonious environment and access to our research project activities.
Duration of employment: 4 year/s
Extent of Employment: 30.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Successful candidates are qualified for independent social science research on Japan. Candidates are required to write a doctoral thesis in relation with the departmental research interests. We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
Your regular work load include
Participation in research, teaching and administration:
- Participation in publications and presentations
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Professional and methodological competences are demonstrated by a MA degree in Japanese Studies and/or social sciences (the master thesis deals with Japan and lays proof of the qualification to conduct independent research in Japan)
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Ability to work in a team
Desirable qualifications are
- Experiences in field research
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Basic experience in teaching
- Experience in Japan
- Letter of Motivation including ideas for a prospective doctoral project proposal
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates
- Master thesis
Main research field
|Special research fields||Importance|
|Cultural anthropology;Environmental sociology;Ethnography;Ethnology||CAN|
Linguistics and Literature
|Educational level||Special subject||Importance|
Type of computer skills
|Specified computer skills||Importance|
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna ( http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 03.05.2018, mentioning reference number 8538.
For further information please contact Szemethy, Anita +43-1-4277-45119.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity ( http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 8538