The University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Foundation (TiHo) stands for long-standing competence in the field of veterinary medicine. It is an eminent scientific institution connecting modern science with university tradition.
Since its founding in 1778 as the Roß-Arzney-Schule it has kept its independent status up until today thereby assuming an exceptional position in Germany. At the beginning of 2003 the TiHo became an endowed university within a public foundation – the State of Lower Saxony granting the university a greater personal responsibility and thereby more flexibility for legal arrangements.
The TiHo has built up six specialist centresand integrates six clinics, 19 institutes and three special units. Additionally, in Ruthe, south of Hannover, in Buesum in Schleswig-Holstein, and in Bakum near Vechta the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover runs three field stations training students, and conducting research projects.